What are 2 ways your eyes can be damaged by the sun?
- Your eyes can get sunburned.
- It can increase the risk of eye cancers, including on the eyelid.
- Too much sun exposure can lead to cataracts.
- Prolonged sun exposure can lead to growths on the eye.
- It can lead to macular degeneration.
How long do you have to look at the sun to damage your eyes? Permanent retinal damage can occur when someone looks at the sun for 100 seconds or less. This is under two minutes.
Can you repair sun damaged eyes? Even minor trauma to the eye is treatable – minor cuts and damage to your eye that occurs as a result of physical contact will generally heal if treated promptly and properly. However, damage to your eyes that results from sun exposure is, unfortunately, not easily treatable.
How can I protect my eyes from the sun without sunglasses? A wide brimmed hat or cap will block about half of UV rays. A brimmed hat or cap can also limit UV rays that hit the eyes from above or around glasses. Eyewear that absorbs UV rays gives you the most protection.