How many colored pencils are in a set? Picking Pencils
A good pencil buying strategy is to get a box of about 24 colors.
Are 24 colored pencils enough? The simple answer is that you don’t really need very many. I recently purchased a set of Koh-I-Nor woodless pencils that contains 24 colors. That’s the largest set they offer, but many other colors are available as open stock. Those 24 colors are more than enough to draw almost anything I want to draw.
How many colored pencils should I buy? In my experience, assuming that I already know a pencil is of good quality, a set of 36 or 48 is the sweet spot – usually a good value in terms of price per pencil and having all the colors I’d probably ever need for an urban sketch or a still life.
What is the best brand of colored pencils for artists?
- Magicfly Colored Pencils.
- Castle Arts Coloured Pencils.
- Arteza Colored Pencils.
- Faber-Castell Polychromos Colour Pencils.
- Derwent Coloursoft Colouring Pencils.
- Monarch Premium Grade Black Widow Coloured Pencils.
- Shuttle Art Soft Core Color Pencil Set.